Pinning pupils’ work to classroom walls lined with asbestos has been given as the reason for the death of an art teacher from lung cancer.
Jennifer Barnett, aged 60, died in September 2014 , 14 months after being diagnosed with mesothelioma – a cancer whose most common cause is asbestos.
Her family are now taking legal action against Gloucestershire County Council after a coroner recorded a verdict of industrial disease. A post-mortem found a large tumour in her right lung.
The coroner, Katy Skerrett, said:
“It is clear that there was sufficient exposure to asbestos in her occupation for me to reach a conclusion that this lady died from an industrial disease.”
Mrs Barnett’s husband said that during her time as a teacher, his wife also did clay modelling with pupils and the cupboard where the clay was stored also contained asbestos.
You can read more about this story here.
Eton Environmental carries out asbestos surveying and related services at schools across the UK. For more information please contact us on 01325 366866.